« « « « « « « « « « « « « « « « « « « « « « « «

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Confused?!


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I love to travel all around the world,see different places meet different people and be exposed to their traditions & culture to learn new positive things from them..Although I couldn't move all around the globe, but I live in a country where u can meet different cultures in one street!

Although I'm "Arabiana",Most of my friends are Filipinos, and I found myself falling In love with those cute people. They are friendly,respectful,open minded, sweet, simple, sensitive, peaceful and proud.But they can be so emotional sometimes!

I met some of my Filipino friends at work, but the majority I met online,I didn't have the chance to gather with them face to face yet ,but hopefully in the near future...I like them.
So I wanted to learn more about them. And when I did I found myself falling in love with them more! Normally, I like to learn from them, I Like eating their food, "pancit" is my favorite Filipino dish, I like also listening to some Filipino artist ,but what I was really fond of most is, their cute style in words..

My best friend Hugsy encouraged me to use her native language,food,music,names,& cloths..I'll never forget that she was the 1st one to introduce me to some expressions like, "po"! For example, I learned from her that I should use it whenever am talking to a"kabayan", It gives more respect to the person in front of you. Which I admire!
In some special occasions she prefered using the short cut terms to say one sentence in one word! For example:
happy birthday,haberday,hapiberty,hapibeerday,and some of them will even say:hapiburpday!! I found that amusing!

The petnames was one of my favourite part..
Before I was really exposed to this culture,I used to have only 2 pet names :mimi (how my mom call me) and babywild (how my friends and teachers call me since I was in elementary school,they even opened an email for me then with this name!!)
cuz I was really makulit at school!but after that I found myself called with new cute names: shorty,missy,bubwit,mimipot,bubwit kulit, which I didn't mind cuz I find it appealing!

So I started using some of these terms..some expressions some good habits from what I love to learn..

I use it coz simply I Love it !

But unfortunately some Filipinos cund't understand this,and didn't accept it & find it a "copycat!" thing to do, Which hurt me a lot, coz I never thought of it this way…and becuz they don't know me,they are totally strangers to me!

I thought it's okay for a non-Filipino person to use some native words or expressions? I am actually indulged now in a Tagalog class, is this a "copycat" thing to do? I know am still learning and I have LOTS of things to learn from/about them but until now I can't understand some Filipinos totally,is these terms Restricted to filipinos only?!!


My Filipino fellows...Enlighten me please?

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

nah, dont worry bout them. some filipinos are just bitches and assholes like that, hehe. i guess there are just few disadvantages in every culture. you may not like it but you have to accept it.

oh by the way, you that bubwit means little mouse? i think that what it was. hehe

2:27 PM  
Blogger Summer Fire said...

hey bubwit :D as what tintin said, don't mind those as*holes who say that you are a copycat. i don't think that there is anything wrong with loving other people's culture and adapting their ways.

and i agree that Filipino culture is sooo lovely. many foreigners like you love Filipinos [despite the many negative things about us that i'm sure you are aware of :)]well, i guess we Filipinos SHOULD be thankful to people like you who thinks good about us.

basta, just ignore those narrow-minded bitches :D

3:12 PM  
Blogger Angel Jayme said...

you're not a copy cat. and no, these terms are not restricted to Filipinos.

it's completely understandable for you to feel bad. although you can't control what other people will say about you but you, you can control yourself and you can choose how to react. in this case: ignore them.

i think it's great that inspite of the negative things said about filipinos, you chose to see our good side and even made a lot of filipino friends. i also think it's so respectful for a person to talk to me in my native tongue. so what if there's wrong grammar or pronunciation, it's the effort that counts. i mean, you even signed up for lessons which just goes to show how much you want to reach out to us.

whatever language or culture, don't stop discovering and learning. you have nothing to lose but everything to gain.

3:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't mind them,they don't want to explore the horizon they're just
stucked up in their own boring world.if they're not copycats then what on
earth are they doing in a foreign country trying to fit in that
culture which is totally different from them?do i need to say more?

3:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't let others affect u,Ahabich!take care of urself always.
missu po!
mwaah!

4:54 PM  
Blogger S A J Shirazi said...

Learn by Experience

I live in Pakistan, a country with diverse culture and full of travel attractions from mountains to architechture and best of all wonderful people. As a passionate traveler and travel writer I have this to offer in your context:

Travel is a pursiite of prosperity; mostly. Apart from business, people travel for so many different reasons: to explore, to feel, to learn, to get away from humdrum of the fast lane life, to lose themselves or find themselves and (as in your case) to meet other people and experience their culture. George Santayana, a Philosopher, has been quoted as describing, "We need sometimes to escape into open solitudes, into aimlessness, into the moral holiday of running some pure hazard, in order to sharpen the edge of life, to taste hardship, and to be compelled to work desperately for a moment at no matter what." In the present cyber era, Internet has brought seismic changes in the ways people travel. But nothing beats meeting people and experiencing their culture fist hand.

Forget any one who do not understand, there are many who don’t understand others. Go ahead with your pursuit and learn as much as you can by experiments. You will be a better person at the end; mark my words.

5:10 PM  
Blogger S A J Shirazi said...

BTW, neat image. Who is that?

5:16 PM  
Blogger NV said...

Dont waste your time minding those rats.I only have two words of advice: IGNORE THEM!You are only giving them more credit than they deserve if you continue to even "write" about them on your blog.

Here's to you my friend, may you continue to enjoy the adventure of learning about Filipinos. Cheers!!

11:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

come to ur blog via Shi :)

interesting post! I didn't know that some of the pinays or pinoys can't accept a non-filippino to use their words :| so far when we heard that foreigners use my mother language a little, we just feel happy and proud that the foreigners are interested in our land, not only the places but also the language.

Well, I am living in Europe, where I meet lots of people from different countries as turkey, UAE, pakistan, iran, etc, i miss asian, the culture, the etiquettes, everything! because in this country, people live individually and lots of people here don't even know which questions they are allowed to ask to an asian (i meant, they don't think twice if their questions can make them angry or not), this is free country, it also means that what they think is FREE, free, not about freedom, but they are too open minded and some of them are not ashamed even to talk or to ask asian about s*x hmm...but the good thing is that people here don't even care of what you do, they are not gossiping as what people in my motherland do. Well, some of them do gossip, but not too long as hmmm...asian...hope u know what i meant. Although I am indonesian, living in Netherlands, my friends are coming from different countries, and only one or two are dutch lol

5:37 AM  
Blogger S A J Shirazi said...

Did I tell you about my travel ventures? I can myself traveler. Here is why:

http://www.bootsnall.com/articles/authors/saj-shirazi/index.html

7:15 AM  
Blogger amiethinggoes said...

Do whatever makes you happy Bubwit. There will always be people like that…mean people who will be hurtful. Ignore them. If the general rule in this world is to just stick to your native tongue and never learn or understand other cultures and ways then people shouldn’t get out of their own territories. What a sorry place will be this world we live in. Fact is Philippines must be if not the most one of the countries with the most diverse cultures probably there is. This medium I speak now is not my native language yet I speak it. People will always have their own opinions…and some of that opinion will suck. Cheer up! Don’t let things like that affect you. :)

12:41 PM  
Blogger S A J Shirazi said...

Today is 24th April. Free? What is coming next?

7:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi bubwit! i'm flattered that you are that fond of our culture. i don't mind you learning more about us, i encourage it. if some people don't understand it, that's their problem, not yours!

9:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If that is your picture on the your blogsite I don't
find the reason why you called it "The Soul of an Ugly
Duckling". You are "maganda!" and what amused me is
your interest with our language. And i feel you also
have a "magandang kalooban" (beautiful heart).

Bola!

9:32 PM  
Blogger jOyCeE said...

there are really some filipinos who are judgemental... dont let this affect u, do what you want. we should be flattered that an arabian like u is interested or should i say indulge in our culture and language... keep it up! :)

5:21 AM  
Blogger Thess said...

You can never please everybody, that's the solid fact. Be who you are and ignore those who are giving negative vibes, spending time thinking about them or what they're saying isn't worth you while.
I for one.. embraces you, bubwit, you're cool!!

11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Soul of an Ugly Duckling©
Created in January25,2005
Copyright ©2008. All Rights Reserved 2008